As of January 2017, I made a commitment to myself: I will only purchase ethical and cruelty free (CF) beauty products.
Now where on earth do I start?
Pinterest of course. I love Pinterest, but there is such a crazy amount of information on this topic, I knew I had to do my own research.
As I am just beginning my CF makeup journey, I have yet to buy my own selection of products. I have ordered a few products to test the waters and thankfully received names of ethical brands from my lovely followers – Thank you, you are awesome!
When I made this decision, my first question was, what is the difference between CF and vegan? I truly had no idea… so here it is: “Cruelty–free” refers to products which are not tested on animals and “vegan” refers to products that do not contain any animal-derived ingredients. There we have it!
Then I Googled, why should I use CF products? Luckily the very first link was to an amazing article on roogirl. They outline 10 reasons why CF products are better for you and ultimately for everyone (including our furry friends). It was quite enlightening and an easy read.
Now let’s rewind to why I chose to do this… Two of my favorite make-up brands use to be MAC and NYX. Something about walking into their sophisticated store’s and talking to an always lovely make-up stylist was like stepping into make-up heaven.
They both state to be CF, but SHOCK… their parent companies are not – insert sad face, as I truly believed their CF promise. Estee Lauder the parent company of MAC and L’Oréal the parent company of NYX both sell in China, where testing on animals is required – FORGET THAT!
I was flabbergasted and sad… also because I own so many of their products and have supported their brands over the years.
Now I have to be honest. I can’t find myself simply throwing these products away. I will most likely use what I have at the moment, but refuse to purchase from these brands or others, which support testing on animals from here on out. What is your opinion on this?
The next step: How do I determine if a brand is CF?
+ Are they on The Leaping Bunny or PETA lists? The Leaping Bunny, states the corporate standard of compassion for animals. This website outlines approved brands, which I think is a great place to start!
+ Don’t be afraid to email to brand and simply ask
+ Do some research
+ Make sure the parent company is also CF!!
+ A great resource for CF brands is a list created by a writer for Phyrra – it was just updated on March 5!
As I am researching CF products to replace my current make-up, a few brands stood out:
+ Vapour: you can purchase samples
They also provide some vegan products as well as all products are cruelty free: 70% organic ingredients. The remaining 30% consists of mineral pigments and essential oils.
Want to know more about Vapour?
+ Eco Tools: I currently use eco-tool brushes and I love them. They are long lasting and are amazing. They are CF, use recycled materials, are tree free and their handles are made from recycled bamboo – Mic Drop.
Want to know more about Eco Tools?
I ultimately chose to switch to CF and natural brands for two main reasons. The personal reason is I have sensitive skin and cannot stand putting any more unnecessary chemicals on my skin. I am currently using a natural LUSH product as a nightly face wash and LOVE it (review to come)! My second reason is on a more macro level. The idea of unleashing unnecessary chemicals out into the world, floors me and of course I love cute furry animals – now this conversation could go on for years so I will end it there. Everyone has their own reasons to transition to natural or CF products and they should ALL be respected.
What are your favorite CF brands? How do you feel about vegan vs. non-vegan? I HAVE SO MANY QUESTIONS ON THIS TOPIC!